Thursday, March 3, 2011

Yarmouth Trails Part 1

         If I expected to lose weight I realized I needed to walk everyday. I walk at least 3 - 5 miles a day  I enjoyed walking  beaches but most days in the winter are very windy and cold, walking 4 times around the inside of the mall was worse. Walking the trails burns calories at a much faster rate so I googled hiking, trails, walking, whatever I could think of to find new places to walk. To my delight there were many choices. I live in Yarmouth and I found 9 listed conservation trails. Once I started I was hooked. The best part of hiking is most of the time you’re not going from pt. A to pt B, turning around and going back again. When you walk a trail you never know what is around the next turn or over the next hill. So many times hiking Cape Cod you come across a beautiful scenic view that can literally take your breath away.  
        The Callery-Darling trail at Gray’s Beach. (aka Bass Hole) is one of these.
One of the more popular attractions is the 800 ft. boardwalk that overlooks  the salt marshes and the sea , and looks totally different with the changing tides. The trail has many entrances, I use the one that is by the playground. There is no sign that leads you to the trail but you can clearly see where it starts. From Rte 6 take exit 8 north to rte 6A. Follow Old Church St. across the road to the end and take a right on Center St. this brings you to Grays Beach where you can park for free all year.
.
Length- 2.4 miles
Degree of Difficulty- moderate
What I like - Good length for daily walks, views, has 3 parts so trail can be done whole or split up
What I don’t like- When there is heavy rain there are many deep puddles that will become very icy in winter or very muddy the rest of the year
Dog Friendly- yes
Good for Family- yes
Trail Markings- ½ way there is a wooden map
Trail Maintenance- very good
Overall Rating-  4 out of 5
http://www.yarmouth.ma.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=699


No comments:

Post a Comment