Friday, March 4, 2011

Take A Hike Yarmouth 2

       Yesterday and today I walked the Raymond J. Syrjala Conservation trail. I only had walked here once before,  as opposed to The Callery-Darling trail which I walked 20 times in February. The first two times it was sunny, windy and in the low 20’s. Today was nice at 34, lol. Some friends think I’m crazy to walk outside i winter. I suppose I am, but I just am not a treadmill or fitness club guy. I’d rather be outside. Since I have lost more than 60 lbs my old clothes still fit with the extra layers I wear. I bought Propet Camp Hiker waterproof boots that have helped in the snow and mud, on ice and tide pools. I listen to my MP3 player and keep track of my miles and calories burned with a Mio Pacer PC. I’m still a beginner so I would really like to know what others use while hiking..
        I have driven by where The Syrjala begins hundreds of times and had no idea it was there. From  Rte 28 take Winslow Gray Rd about a ½ mile, on the left there is a small park that looks like one of those places that’s dedicated to someone but nobody ever uses. A narrow path with plenty of boardwalks wind through red maple swamps, with Plaches Brook on one side and a cranberry bog on the other. The path circles back to almost where you started with another path that cuts through the middle. Because of that it makes it to short for me. Callery-Darling is spread out so if you walk the whole trail it is close to 5 miles. What makes this trail worth going to for me is the cranberry bog it connects to. You can add as much mileage to your walk as you want. At least 2 miles. I did the trail first then the bog and then the trail again. Have you done this trail? Let me know what other things I should rate.


Length- 1.75 miles plus cranberry bog
Degree of Difficulty- easy  no hills
What I like - The narrow trail is good for windy days, the bog adds length, don’t have to go the same way all the time
What I don’t like- trail is too short. Walking the bog when it’s cold and windy
Dog Friendly- yes
Good for Family- single file
Trail Markings-  Blue Cape Cod Trail  stickers on some trees
Trail Maintenance-  Fallen trees  from storms covering some of the boardwalks. Some of the boardwalks need minor repair
Benches - 2 -one overlooking pond
Scenic  - No
Beach -  No
Overall Rating-  2.5 out of 5

For more info -http://www.yarmouth.ma.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=704

No comments:

Post a Comment