Friday, March 25, 2011

Snow Again ???


       Snow !! Are you kidding me !! I have  walked everyday except three in the last five months. I began walking to lose weight so there was no way I was not going to go. I think it was easier when I knew everyday was going to be in the 20’s. A few days ago it was close to 60, just a tease, but at least I can see the light at the end of this long winter tunnel. Oh well back to the layers and The Callery-Darling Trail. Bad weather days are not the time for exploring new trails. I go at least 3 miles on the bad days because I know that on the nice days I will go 5 or more. The great day we had a week ago I did over 7.
       For those of you who would like to lose weight here are some things that helped me:

1 Start slow.  don’t do too much too soon. Try going by time first, 30 mins. Then 45, then an hour
2. Do it everyday no matter what.  I walked sick, injured, in snow, in rain etc
 I was afraid if I missed one day I might stop. The first day I missed was in month 3. If anyone would have told me even 6 months ago That I would have walked Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Day I would have told them they were nuts!!
3. Eat better. I didn’t diet - I cut down and ate healthier. I never ate a lot - I ate BAD. Why waste the energy and not eat better too.
4. Don’t look at scale everyday.  It will be like waiting for water to boil. I could tell by how my clothes fit.
5. Do what’s best for you. I was told so many times, he did this…she did that and so on. Find something you like and stick with it. I still get told no don’t do it that way you  should do it such and such a way. I tell them I must have done
6. Keep a log. I didn’t start right away but I wish I did. Around Christmas I got a Mio Pedometer PC. It measures miles, time, steps and calories burned and hooks up to your computer and keeps graphs for you. In February I started recording the data on my own chart. I added which trail I did that day, the temperature and the conditions.
7. Get a friend to do it with you.  If you need a little push to get you going start with a friend. I did, and it was a huge help. In the beginning we kept each other going. Neither one of us wanted to be the guy who quit. My friend had to travel a few times and didn’t have the same affection for the outdoors as me. So now I listen to my MP3 player for company. Another friend helped more than she knows; she would keep asking if I had walked. I never wanted to tell her I didn’t-
I would have felt like I disappointed her.
8.Wear the right clothes. It’s not a fashion show. Wear a hat, layers if need be, Always expect worse weather. Good shoes are a must. I got hiking boots that have been great in the snow, mud, ice and tide pools.
9. Research. I research as much as I can - From the boots to the trails etc.
I found a blog I follow on Kindle called “Weight loss without tears”  that has also helped me out.
10. No excuses!!!
                                          GO TAKE A HIKE !!!

Here is a good link you should READ before hiking on Cape Cod

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work. I wish all my friends who struggle with weight would listen to you. Great story, thanks for sharing it - I love problems with solutions! We are great fans of hiking the Cape; this is the best way to enjoy the beautiful land around us.

    ReplyDelete