Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sandy Pond, West Yarmouth

      I live in Yarmouth which is considered the Mid- Cape. I also live in between Nantucket Sound to the south and Cape Cod Bay to the north. This makes it easy to travel to the many trails in the different towns of The Cape. The truth is there are so many trails in Yarmouth, It’s easier not to have travel to far, especially on crumby days. Only recently now that there is a glimpse of spring in the air did I decide to explore different trails and beaches. So far in March when it has been a nice day, not only do I want to hike farther, I want to travel farther to do it. Yesterday was sunny but cold and today was warmer and pouring, So I stuck close to home.
      Sandy Pond is at he back of a recreation park. It has a  softball and soccer field, Tennis and basketball courts and a playground, with facilities. To get to the pond, which has a small swimming beach you walk down the hill behind the ball field. It is located off of Buck Island Road in West Yarmouth.  The only times I had gone there before was to shoot baskets. Friends had told me about the trail that they said went around the whole pond, about 1 ¼ miles  It wasn’t long enough I told them, if I want to go in circles I will go to a track. That’s not happening! I had to enough laps playing sports as a kid.  My friends never told me of the connecting trails that either can make Sandy Pond trail longer or actually connect to other trails like Horse Pond.
         The main trail is narrow and follows the pond all the way around. On the soccer field side is a life course  with 6 stations. There is a connecting trail about half way around the trail. It starts off heading north before it splits. Someone put small signs with directions on a few trees that are very helpful. Going to the east will take you past water stations to Higgins Crowell Road and the beginning of Horse Pond Trail. Heading west  leads you back towards the pond, giving you an option of a outer loop to add mileage. Before the west trail loops back you have a choice to north for a short distance before it splits again. I haven’t checked out those trails yet  because of the pouring rain. I thought I was going to be able to start Horse Pond tomorrow but I guess we will see where the other trails lead first. Sandy Pond has turned out much better than I expected. Hopefully it will be nice tomorrow and not only will I find where both these trails lead but I can hike over to Horse Pond too.

        
                              
http://www.yarmouth.ma.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=705
.

Ratings 1- the cellar  2- shoddy  3- tolerable  4- worthy  5- wicked good

Accessibility - 5
Parking - 5 - Free all year
Length-   2 - If you stay at Sandy Pond but you can make it a 5 if you head to Horse Neck Trail
Degree of Difficulty-  4 easy with narrow trails
Dog Friendly- 3  better in other part of park
Good for Family- 5 - tennis and basketball courts , soccer and softball fields, playground, beach and facilities,
Trail Markings-  5  Cape Cod pathway stickers on trees along with direction signs
Trail Maintenance-   5-. Well traveled
Variation - 4  thanks to connecting trails and the life course
Scenic  - 2-  can see the pond

Beach -   fresh water

What I like - The park
What I don’t like-  it's not very challenging
Overall Rating-    40 out of 50

No comments:

Post a Comment