Saturday, June 18, 2011

D. Isabel Smith Monomoy River Conservation Lands, Harwich MA.

     
      A couple of days after I had done Bank St. Bog I decided to return to Harwich and hike D. Isabel Smith Monomoy River Conservation Lands. I knew my way from The bog so I went past there on Bank St to the end and made a right on Main St. All I had to do is stay on the road that changes it’s name to Orleans Harwich Road to Bay Rd, about a 5 mile drive. On the way I passed Thompson’s Field Conservation Area, a trail I hope to do next time I have a chance to do a new one. It’s easy to find the Harwich trails since they have the international hiking signs on the side of the road where they are located.
      The D. Isabel Smith Trail heads into the woods from the ample parking lot. The path starts out wide enough for two, with broken branches lining the pine needle walkway. It heads straight towards the Monomoy River. Before you get to the end of the trail there is another trail to the right. There are three signs there - the one pointing right reads - trail. The one pointing straight ahead reads - overlook. The other points back from where I came and reads parking. I headed for the overlook by staying on the first path to the end and taking a left instead of right, knowing by looking at the map before I started that going right would loop back to the other trail that was on the right a few minutes earlier. The trail to the overlook was narrow and still was lined by branches as it went slightly downhill.
The overlook had two big benches on a man made deck that has a great view of the river and Pleasant Bay.
       Following the same trail out, stay going straight instead of heading back to the parking area. The trail is narrow and hilly. It leads to a path in a utility area. Signs help so you can’t get lost. The trail heads back into the woods and stays narrow with some steeper hills. It come out where I first saw the signs. I headed back to the parking area. The hike was about 2 miles, but the hills make it so you have to work a little harder. His would be a good complement to Bank St. Bog. This one is woods the other open air and doing both would be about 5 miles.


More pictures on Facebook

Ratings 1- the cellar  2- shoddy  3- tolerable  4- worthy  5- wicked good

Accessibility - 5 - Take exit 11 off Rte 6. Take left on to Brewster-Chatham Rd. then turn left on Orleans-Harwich Rd and then right on Bay Rd
Parking -  5 - A nice size lot
Length-  3 - Shorter than I like
Degree of Difficulty- 3 - some decent hills make up for length
Extras-  2  Scenic sit down area
Trail Markings-  5 - easy to follow with great signs
Trail Maintenance-   5   very good
Variation - 2  Can change which way you will
Scenic  - 4 - Through trees but real nice
Worth Returning - 4  Yes if I do Bank St Bog too
Surface - Pine needles
Beach -   no
Facilities - no
What I liked - The hills and the look out area
What I didn’t - The length

Rating 38 out of 50

2 comments:

  1. Ready to roll this year. Can't wait to get on the bike again. http://www.traveldiscountsinfo.com/the-best-public-cape-cod-golf-courses/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be getting real Busy in Cape Cod right now. I can’t wait to get to the beach and do some Golfing. I’ll be down there for a month. Best time Of The Year for me. I will be writing some more articles tips and things to do around cape cod stay tuned. http://www.traveldiscountsinfo.com/cape-cod/

    ReplyDelete