Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothers Day / 6 Month Reflections

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.  ~Tenneva Jordan

    Mothers Day 49 yrs ago I was 5 yrs old and decided to take my first hike. My mother was working at a restaurant and we were at my grandmothers house in Framingham MA. with my aunts, uncles and cousins. I decided I should be with my mother and started walking with my 3 yr old cousin down the street over the railroad tracks across Rte 135. We were headed in the right direction and had gone almost a mile of the 8 mile walk when another Uncle drove by us. He glanced over at first when he saw 2 youngsters walking alone. A minute later he realized what he saw, turned around and brought us back to my grandmothers. I’m so lucky that together my mother and I can still laugh about it today - I think my father is still pissed though. Lol
    Anyways --- HAPPY MOTHERS DAY MOM I Love You !!!
     I have been walking/hiking everyday for just over 6 months and have lost 80 lbs. For the 1st 2 ½ months I walked Seagull Beach in Yarmouth, West Dennis Beach, the cranberry bog by the Yarmouth House on Rte 28 or the mall with a friend. He stopped due to some traveling and work related reasons, but the other day we walked Seagull beach together for the 1st time since January. It was nice to go back to the beginning - I really noticed the difference. When we walked back then it seemed so much harder. I always used a point up ahead as a reference to how much further we had to go. Once we made it there I would use another. This time we were almost done when I realized I never even thought about it and laughed at how hard it had been in the beginning.
      When we started I kept track of the miles we did each day. Starting in February I decided to keep better records. Now I record - where I go, miles, calories lost, temperature and conditions. I did 8 different places in February, 7 new ones, 15 different ones in March, 8 new, and 19 different in April, 9 new.
Callery- Darling leads with 30 different times with 20 coming in February, only 4 in April. Next is The cranberry bog down the street with 7, I do that one when time is an issue. RJ Syrjala is third with 5, same thing It is close and another bog is connected to the short trail. Four times I have walked/hiked Sandy Pond, Historical Society of Yarmouth, Crows Pasture, Flax Pond and Chapin Beach.
These are my favorite trails so far:

1   John Wing     Brewster                                        
2   Crows Pasture  Dennis
3   Callery Darling   Yarmouth
4   Indian Lands    Dennis
5   HSOY    Yarmouth

My least favorites have been Horse Pond in Yarmouth and Hokum Rock in Dennis. They are just too confusing without any markings.
   The beaches I like the best are still Chapin - Mayflower and Corporation in Dennis, the view is breathtaking and the tide goes out so far. Plus I know when and how the tide comes in so I won’t get caught in it.
   27 trails down with 70 something to go. There are many trails I have only hiked once and I would like to again. Some I will but with so many more to go - who knows. All I do know is I can’t wait to see where the next 6 months bring me !!
Oh yeah -- Happy Mothers Day to you too C. W. !!

No comments:

Post a Comment