Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fresh Pond Conservation Area & Johnny Kelley Recreation Area, Dennis MA.

 
     Cape Cod weather so far in May has been terrible. Cloudy, rainy and windy. I don’t usually hike new trails in bad conditions, but it’s been a tough month so far. Usually when things are tough I go to the beach, but in this weather it just makes it worse. I didn’t want to go far so I decided to go to Dennis and try two different trails. The first, Fresh Pond Conservation Lands which boasts a dog park.


 The second, not far away, Johnny Kelley Recreational Area. This one has a life course and a Braille trail.

        Fresh pond is on Rte 134 between Rte 28 and Upper County Rd. The parking lot holds about 8 cars. There are two small fenced in areas for the dogs to play. No dogs on this rainy day. Straight ahead is the pond and I noticed a trail next to it that lead into the woods. As I walked to it I noticed another trail on my right next to the second dog area. Neither trail looked marked so I took the left trail by the pond. Not far down I noticed another trail to my right. I ignored it and kept going, deciding to figure it out later. It had rained even harder the night before so the trail, which has many spots to look at the pond, was very muddy. There was small logs in many of the extra muddy areas to act as small stepping bridges. Halfway down the trail I saw blue and orange markings on some trees. Turns out I was on the orange trail which loops back to the trail I had ignored a little earlier. The orange trail became the blue trail and right away split off. I stayed on the blue trail that still followed along side of the pond. I found out later that the split off was an extra narrow trail and the one that started behind the second dog area. The blue trail I had stayed on ended up going almost halfway around the pond before it just ended. One part ended at the pond, while another path looked like it would go farther but ended in the middle of pricker bushes. Ouch !! I turned around and followed the blue trail which went real close to Rte 134 and ended up right behind the first dog area. I hadn’t seen that trail when I came into the park. Across the street is another trail, but that is real short and loops around between Rte 134 and Center St. The hike turned out to be close to 3 miles only because I went back around a few times to check out the small connecting trails and the one across the street.
       Take a left on Rte 134 from the parking area and go over Rte 6 and take the first left on Bob Crowell Road to get to Johnny Kelley Recreation Area. Basketball and tennis courts, softball and soccer fields and a playground are surrounded by an ample parking area. The trail starts behind the playground and pavilion. The path is wide and follows the fields and loops back to the beginning. There are many fitness stops along the way. These are all up to date and well kept. The full course is 1 mile, the big loop is .6 mile and the small loop is .4 mile. There is a sign at the beginning that can also be read in Braille. It reads:
Welcome to the Dennis Braille Trail. Stop often to listen, smell and feel. Use of these senses will add pleasure to your walk. Follow the rope on your right side of the trail. A disc in the rope indicates a stop. Reach out above the disc to locate the signs for information or directions.
        Despite the rain another good day of exploring the different trails of Cape Cod. The sun came out a couple of days after I did these trails. I hadn’t done Callery- Darling in a while and decided to go back. Wow !! What a difference !!
Color is so much better than black and white. I can’t wait to find new trails, but it will be fun to see the trails I have already done in the summer after doing them this past winter.

                                                                 FRESH POND

Ratings 1- the cellar  2- shoddy  3- tolerable  4- worthy  5- wicked good

Accessibility - 5  On Rte 134 in between Rte 28 and Upper County Rd.
Parking -  3- About 8 cars  
Length-  3 - Even with the extra trails just not long enough
Degree of Difficulty- 4   Easy but muddy
Extras-  3 - Dog park
Trail Markings-  3 - They don’t start until the middle of the trails
Trail Maintenance-   4  Needs a little work
Variation - 3- There is but too short
Scenic  - 3- The pond
Worth Returning - 2  probably not
Surface - Dirt, pine needles, roots
Beach -   no
Facilities - no

Rating 33 out of 50

                                                              JOHNNY KELLEY

Accessibility - 5  Exit 9 off Rte 6, north on 134 then 1st left to the end of the road
Parking -  5-  Plenty
Length-  3-  1 mile, but you can do as many laps as you want
Degree of Difficulty- 5 - Easy
Extras-  5 - Life course and all the courts, fields and playground
Trail Markings-  5  signs telling all about different stuff
Trail Maintenance-   5
Variation - 1  Circle
Scenic  - 1-
Worth Returning - 4 - for the life course
Surface - Hard packed dirt
Beach -   no
Facilities - yes

Rating 39 out of 50

No comments:

Post a Comment