Thursday, April 28, 2011

Indian Lands Conservation Lands, Dennis MA.


    
    One trail I had heard a lot about but hadn’t tried was Indian Lands in Dennis. Located at the northeast end of The Dennis Town Office Parking lot it is easy to find. No one ever told me that it lead around Bass River. I found out by reading about the trail in one of those small tourist magazines.
The Bass River comes pretty close to cutting the Cape in half. From Nantucket Sound it winds its way north for 6.0 miles into ponds and creeks that reach within 0.5 mile of tidal waters emptying into Cape Cod Bay.
     You start by walking down a sandy power line trail with  unused railroad tracks on your right. A ½ mile down on the left is where The Indian Lands Conservation Lands trail starts. There are two trails to choose from - Lady Slipper trail heads left and Nickerson Point right. I chose Lady Slipper and went towards the river on a narrow pine needle covered path. When I got to the river I thought I would have to turn around but the path kept going all the way around the small peninsular. There were a few places to sit and enjoy the great views of Bass River. I kept thinking I would have to turn and go back, but I was wrong again The trail kept going until I saw a connecting path ahead. When I got closer I realized it was The Nickerson Point trail and I was back to the beginning of the trail. Nickerson Point followed another small peninsular on the river and headed back to the power line trail. Going away from the parking lot I saw another small trail heading into the woods with a small board across a small creek. This trail was on the opposite side of the 2nd peninsula led up a hill and followed the river back to the end of the power line trail. The end of the trail was where the old railroad bridge had been and not far from the bridge where Rte 6 crosses over Bass River. I walked the power line trail back to the parking lot. Turned out to be almost 3 1/2 miles. Since I was a kid I always loved Bass River and I can’t wait to kayak it this summer.


Ratings 1- the cellar  2- shoddy  3- tolerable  4- worthy  5- wicked good

Accessibility - 5 At the end of the Dennis Town Office Parking lot
Parking -  5  - More than enough
Length-  4 - Good but can only add more by doing it again, confined by Bass River
Degree of Difficulty- 4 - easy with some hills
Extras-  2 - Not far from beaches, but nothing right there
Trail Markings-  4 - Easy to follow w/o markings
Trail Maintenance-   5 -
Variation - 4 -  3 trails and utility path
Scenic  - 4 -  Always loved Bass River
Worth Returning - 4 -  For sure
Beach -   no
Facilities - no
What I like -  I love the different views of Bass River
What I don’t like-  Can’t think of anything

Overall Rating-    41 out of 50

1 comment: