Saturday, April 23, 2011

Breakwater Beach, Brewster MA.

    
    Sunny, low 50’s, a little windy. I wanted something different and close to the beach. I checked the tide chart and saw that it would be close to low tide on the north side. Usually I would go to one of the Dennis beaches, Corporation, Mayflower or Chapin. Deciding to try a new one I picked Breakwater in Brewster. Easy to find off of Rte 6A, take Breakwater Rd to the can’t miss parking lot. I arrived almost 2 hours after low tide. I knew the tide was coming in, but figured I had plenty of time for an hour plus walk. I headed straight out as far as I could go, passing a boat that was sitting almost sideways in the sand. There were some deep tidal pools that I avoided since It is still to cold to be walking in the water, plus It is still jeans, sweatshirt and hiking boots weather. I thought of going towards the west and against the wind when I reached the water but I saw a dog running around without its owner anywhere near. I decided to go east, staying as far away from shore as possible. When the tide is at its lowest the water is almost a mile away from where it is at high tide. I walked as far as I could, over 2 miles, according to my pedometer, and was about ½ mile away from the shore when I had to turn around.
     I know that the tide comes in fast, but didn’t think it would come in that fast!!
OH OH !!! I turned around and realized I was on a sandbar, surrounded by water. Of course I had my phone, camera, mp3 player, pedometer and money in my pocket. At first I thought I could go back the way I came and there would still be some sand to walk on. NOPE !! Actually my 1st thought was “I AM AN IDIOT” !! My boots are waterproof - but not when the water is up to my thighs. Luckily the water wasn’t as cold as I thought it would be. I’m  very happy its April and not January. I felt like I had 15 lb weights on my feet. When I got to shore I was at a private beach and about a mile away from the parking lot of Breakwater Beach. Luckily there was no one around to laugh at me. When I got back the boat that was on its side was now floating upright and by now probably over my head if I tried to walk to it.
     The 1st thing I did when I got back was call my friend knowing she would need a good laugh. She did --- A LOT !!
  

1 comment:

  1. When walking the tidal flats of the cape always Be aware and alert for the changing tides. Tides can change quickly depending on what time of day you go esp if the tide is coming in or if you come around low tide. I've seen families with coolers, kids, and all their beach umbrellas, chairs etc. trudging through waist to chest deep water with their gear trying to walk through a mile or a half mile of water back to shore. because they stayed out too long

    ReplyDelete