Friday, July 1, 2011

Lake Whitehall State Park, Hopkinton MA.

       
               On the 8th month anniversary of the day I started walking, I had to go Off-Cape. My hometown, Hopkinton, MA., has 2 State Parks and many trails. I had time once I got there to hike Whitehall State Park. The weather was cloudy with some off and on rain when I started. Looking at the map of the trail, which I forgot to take with me, that went around the lake I figured it to be about 6 miles. I took the trail on the west side of the lake that has many inlets and a maze of islands. The trees are huge, so much bigger than The Cape trees. The trail stayed close to the lake, which was on my left, and had houses that could be seen through the heavy woods. Many of the houses had paths leading to them and had canoes and kayaks sitting by the water. The first part of the trail was easy going through the forest with a short walk in a meadow before going back to the woods. The trail was wide enough for 2 - 3 people There were a few small walking bridges, making it easy to get over the many streams leading to the water. Blue arrows with a hiker on them on trees kept me on the right trail as it turned around the lake. I came across a small sitting area where you can read about the history of the area and the site of Hopkinton Springs.
        The rain got heavier and I thought I was further along than I was. The trail became narrow, winding, many more hills. Many of the hills were very steep, with the rain I had to climb more than a few. The bridges got worse and worse. Broken boards on a couple, one bridge was just branches from trees bunched together and eventually just big rocks. I saw another meadow up ahead and walked to it. I followed the mowed path, First to a road, then up another path to a back yard, back towards the woods. I took another path to another road before going back in the woods. I couldn’t find  another hiking arrow. I went back to the 1st road I saw and walked down it this time - still no marker. I walked back to the woods and saw that just before the meadow the trail turned left. I added about 2 miles going back and forth.
         One of my sisters lives across the street from the lake and I kept thinking I would see it from the trail. When I was looking I was still far away. On their marriage certificate my brother in law wrote under occupation - Swashbuckler. My mother was working in the town clerks office at the time and did not see the humor. Lol.  The rain got heavy- Yes I have seen the rain!! My rain jacket gave in - my jeans were waterlogged and the hike got worse and worse. The trail led to out to Pond St. I knew the lake was to the left so I walked over a small bridge. Again I didn’t see an arrow and kept walking on the street in the downpour. When I came to Winter St. I was afraid I would choose the wrong way - It seems I had been doing that all day. Actually lately all my decisions have seemed to be wrong . I turned back and just as I was almost back to the trail I had come out of I saw a marker on a tree in the back yard of the house past the bridge. The marker could have been closer to the road - with my hood on I just missed it.
When I got back on the trail I just stayed close to the water. Looking at the map when I got home - for a while I didn’t think I would ever get there - I added more time by not going straight and meandering through one of the peninsulas. As I got wetter and the trail got tougher I thought I could see the end when I looked over the lake. Nope!! It was like being in line for a Disney ride!! It just seemed to never end. I even thought of ‘borrowing” a canoe and leaving it by the parking lot. (not really} I would have stopped at my sisters if I had seen the house but I never did. Two people were fishing and the look on their faces when they saw me come around the corner was priceless. What a site I was!! I was very happy when I saw my car and very happy I didn’t try this trail earlier. If I had done this none in my 2nd month I might have quit then. I certainly won’t forget my 1st hiking road trip!!




Ratings 1- the cellar  2- shoddy  3- tolerable  4- worthy  5- wicked good

Accessibility - 5 - Rte 135, the village Woodville, in Hopkinton Ma
Parking -  5 - Plenty
Length-  5 - Over 6 miles
Degree of Difficulty- 3 - West side is easy. East Side can be tough in spots
Extras-  4- Kayaking, canoeing, fishing
Trail Markings-  3 - Great most of the way, when you really need the markers - uugghh!!
Trail Maintenance-   3 - needs work on some bridges
Variation - 4 - Without trying
Scenic  - 3- Nice lake, would be great in fall
Worth Returning - 4 - On a NICE fall day
Surface - Pine needles, grass, stones, roots, streams, pavement
Beach -   No
Facilities - No
What I liked - Length
What I didn’t - Markers not in place when most needed

Rating 39 out of 50

2 comments:

  1. A nice lake but needs to be treated for all the weeds and algee blooms so you can swim. I saw no one swimming only boating. I swam once and got a rash. It would be a fantastic swimming place if treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information! I am looking to travel to Cape Town. A friend asked me if is cape town safe for tourists. I initially was unsure, but after doing research I found out that it is and I can't wait to come to Cape Town!

    ReplyDelete